MY TOP 10 HORROR MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS

October 14, 2018 Jazz Blackwell 0 Comments

In my typical fashion, this post is going up far later than anticipated. My excuse this time? Uni and fitness classes (I know - me in a fitness class, shocking) have gotten in the way of what for months has been my 'free time' and I simply haven't been able to sit down and finish a blog post. My original plan was to partake in a sort of 'Blog-o-ween', where I'd have some sort of spooky post up every day in October. Clearly, that didn't quite go to plan. However, I'm not necessarily deterred and this is me promising, right here and now, that you will have a blog post that, in some way, relates to Halloween - be that directly or by virtue of being spooky - every day between now and then.

Of course, it wouldn't be spooky season without those cosy nights in, watching every horror movie from cheesy to terrifying. If you're a horror film buff like me, you wait anxiously for this time of year to come around because it's the time that they actually decide to show the creepy shit on TV. Here, I've compiled a list of my top ten recommended scary movies for your viewing pleasure.

#10 The Exorcist (1973)
IMDb rating: 8/10. Rotten Tomatoes rating: 86% 
 Ah, the classic. The Exorcist is one of those films that you just can't really get away with not watching if you're going to have a horror-movie binge during the Halloween season. A trailblazer for the genre, at the time of its release in 1973, this was the scariest film ever made and has inspired rumours - true or otherwise - of people passing out and vomiting from fear in the theatres. If you haven't seen this film yet, you're missing out and I implore you to watch it. Right now. Immediately.

#9 The Nun (2018)

     IMDb rating: 5.7/10. Rotten Tomatoes rating: 26%
This is the newest movie on this list, and I strongly disagree with the ratings of other critics. I posted something of a glowing review of it not so long ago, and I still stand by everything I said in it. The Conjuring franchise as a whole provides something of a genuinely unsettling experience, and The Nun serving as the prequel to the titular films, is no exception. I would thoroughly recommend including this one in this year's Halloween-horror roster. 

#8 Zombieland (2009) 

   IMDb rating:7.7/10  Rotten Tomatoes rating: 90%
Look, I get it. Not everybody is a creepy weirdo like me and not everybody likes to be scared. If that's the case for you, but you also have a touch of the old FOMO, and want to be included on the spooky Halloween fun this year, then Zombieland maybe the movie for you. A gem of the comedy-horror genre, I guarantee it'll have you peeing your pants laughing. And let's face it - who doesn't love Emma Stone?

#7 The Boy (2016)

   IMDb rating:6/10  Rotten Tomatoes rating: 28%
Now, here's the thing with The Boy. I've put it on this list not because I necessarily think it's a great movie. Truth be told, I don't. As far as the scare-factor goes, it rates at a 'meh' at best - it's by no means horrendous, but it's not going to leave you with nightmares. The reason that I enjoy this film is because of it's pretty shocking and rather clever twist towards the end. I can't say much more without giving you spoilers - you'll have to watch it yourself to see what I'm talking about!

#6 What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

   IMDb rating: 7.6/10 Rotten Tomatoes rating: 96% 
Much like Zombieland, this is one of those horror movies for people who don't like horror movies. Directed by, written by and starring Kiwi dreamboats Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement, What We Do In the Shadows is a hilarious take on every stale trope in the vampire movie genre. The mockumentary style only makes it more piss-your-pants hilarious. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to have a giggle this spooky season.

#5 Halloween (1978)

   IMDb rating:7.9/10  Rotten Tomatoes rating: 93%
Of course Halloween was going to end up on this list. I mean for God's sake, it shares its name with the holiday. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't watch it around this time of year. On top of that, the long-overdue canon sequel is set to be released in the coming weeks - what better way to celebrate it than to watch the original first?

#4 Pet Sematary (1989)
  IMDb rating:6.6/10 Rotten Tomatoes rating: 48%
Stephen King famously called Pet Sematary the only adaptation of any of his works that ever genuinely frightened him - and with good cause. I was only about twelve the first time I saw this film and I still find it as absolutely bone-chillingly frightening as I did way back then. Of course, given that it's nearly 30 years old, the special effects are - to put it kindly - rather lacklustre and a little bit cheesy. But the horrifying storyline and terrifying side story more than makes up for it. There's a remake of this being released early next year- all the more reason to catch the original so you can compare!

#3 The Shining (1980)

   IMDb rating: 8.4/10 Rotten Tomatoes rating: 86%
Based on one of my all-time favourite novels, The Shining is something of a legendary horror movie for a damn good reason. It's a horrifying depiction of the psychological decline of Jack Torrence and the torment of his young family at the hands of a haunted hotel. The late, great Stanley Kubrick really worked his unique magic on this one and, of course, Jack Nicholson's performance as leading man is absolutely iconic. The only thing I implore of you is that you read the book either before or after seeing the film - it's an absolutely tantalising scary delight, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

#2 The Amityville Horror (1979)

  IMDb rating: 6.2/10 Rotten Tomatoes rating: 29%
To be honest with you, I had a bit of a tough time deciding between this and the next movie for top spot. The only reason this one gets beaten out by a slim margin is because of the slight controversy surrounding the 'true story' on which the film is based and some of my own personal reservations about the Warrens (both of which I plan to explain in later posts!). That said, this is a truly brilliant movie. A classic of the paranormal genre, I strongly recommend that you watch this if you haven't already (And no, the 2005 remake doesn't count. I don't care how hot Ryan Reynolds is. Watch the original first.)

#1 The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)


   IMDb rating: 6.7/10 Rotten Tomatoes rating: 48%
My all time favourite horror movie, and one of my favourites over all, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is great in its uniqueness. Loosely based on the real story of a young German woman named Anneliese Michel, the film follows a court case surrounding the death of a girl, which may or may not have been caused by demonic forces. Made all the more impressive by the fact that Jennifer Carpenter actually did all of those crazy twists and contortions herself, this is my absolute must-watch film for any horror binge at any time of year. If you watch no other scary films this season, make sure you see this one.

So - those are my ten horror movie recommendations for this Halloween season. Do you agree with my recs? Have any you'd like to add? Let me know!

Keep it weird,
Jazz xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments: